Materials Selection is one of the most overlooked, but important factors in building and product design because it can have a significant effect on:
- Total cost of the product, in situ, for the various stakeholders
- Performance of the product, in situ
- Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ) of the facility
Materials selection refers to the selection of a material (or product) based on a number of performance and cost factors. In its simplest form it can consist of selecting an end use appropriate base material (eg paint, polymer, metal, mineral). In more complex cases it can extend to selecting an approved product range for a major building project in order to meet requirements that may include:
- Sustainability requirements (environmentally sustainable materials)
- Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) or Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ) standards and voluntary product performance schemes (eg Green Star)
- Industry requirements (ie food, auto, chemical, pharmaceutical)
- Life Cycle Analysis (LCA)
- Product stewardship
Using our experience and the resources of our wholly owned laboratory, Foray Laboratories; CETEC offers holistic materials selection advice and testing services to assist in the selection or providing marketing support for your materials.
Our clients come to us to determine the most suitable material selection for: Green Star Installations, NABERS accredited buildings and best practice facilities.