Cyclone, Storm and Flood Damage
The recent storms and flooding affecting Townsville in Queensland resulted in floodwaters inundating thousands of properties. At CETEC, we have the resources for measuring and project managing the decontamination of buildings and for providing advice for suitable reoccupation of damaged facilities. This includes all hazardous materials, including asbestos and microbial contamination. We are experienced with providing independent recommendations, throughout Australia.
For more than 30 years, we have operated as scientific risk management experts, with a major focus on providing a range of services to the built environment. We are specialists in both indoor air quality (IAQ), including mould identification and also in hazard risk, and hazardous materials assessment and remediation (i.e. asbestos, legionella, chemicals, fuels, microbial, soil and water contamination, etc.). Our services encompass consultancy, measurement, reporting, and management of technical environmental risks associated with compliance to legislation and recognized Australian Standards.
Water ingress into buildings that is not appropriately remediated in the initial phase will lead to significant problems – including mould - in many properties in the future, impacting on both the structure and the health and wellbeing of building occupants. Furthermore, exposure to asbestos fibres during a natural disaster is a common risk that should be managed appropriately.
With flood and storm damage, it is important to act quickly to mitigate the risk of further damage to the building and occupants.
Our key skills in building remediation, following storm and water damage include:
- Review of contractors' practices and procedures relating to risk and hazardous materials
- Assessments to determine whether a site can be remediated
- Remediation and risk assessment of hazardous materials disturbed by storm and water damage (including asbestos)
- Development of remediation strategies, including those for complex sites
- High level bacterial and mould assessments
- Other indoor air quality assessments that may arise from water damage (VOCs, etc)
- Complete project management of remediation, including engagement of all relevant subcontractors using our network of industry contacts
- Material assessments
- Contaminated Land remediation in instances where hazardous materials have been relocated
- Provisional cost estimates
- Expert witness